What is a swamp donkey?
swamp don·key noun \ ˈswämp däŋ-kē \
1. A Swamp Donkey is a member of a New-Orleans based traditional jazz band that plays old style jazz from the 1900s - 1930s. Founded in October 2012, they've already sold out major venues and rocked stages for thousands, in the United States and abroad.
<"We love Louis Armstrong and old-timey jazz so we went and saw the Swamp Donkeys and their music was breathtaking.">
<"That jazz band transported me in a time machine to a special music heaven and I just had to kiss a Swamp Donkey.">
Early Jazz with a Modern Twist
Newest Album: Slightly COncussed
The New Orleans Swamp Donkeys performed and recorded live in 2015 and 2016 at the incomparable venue De Melkbus in Dordrecht, Netherlands. Led by James Williams, and together with engineer Marc Burger and producer Oren Krinsky, the Swamp Donkeys present this unique DOUBLE LIVE ALBUM (20+ songs) from both years to capture the spirit of the band's live concerts. Performances by James Williams, Sam Friend, Jams Marotta, Wes Anderson, Haruka Kikuchi, Connor Stewart, Edwin Brown, Miles Lyons and Marcus Miller. Buy physical copies at our web store or from our friends at the Louisiana Music Factory, and of course download and stream to your hearts content through iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, etc.
- "...there are fewer styles more inherently joyful than the pre-swing sounds delivered on these two discs" - Jazz Weekly, July 27, 2017
- "...they are so obviously enthused by the early-jazz canon it’s impossible to doubt their sincerity" - NYC Jazz Record, July 2017, Page 16
- "...old time music with an occasional contemporary edge, and it all adds up to a lot of fun." - Jersey Jazz Journal, June 2017
- "...gleefully acknowledges any and all comparisons you might want to make with Louis Armstrong." - Nate Chinen, WBGO Take Five, June 5, 2017
A FINE ROMANCE feat. Alia Shawkat
Our EP "A Fine Romance" feat. Alia Shawkat and James Williams is on-sale. Photo by Marc Pagani. Order here for $5.